How to get to the real Sleepy Hollow from almost anywhere. Planes, trains, and automobiles—and buses and boats.
- Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow are easily accessible from the northeastern United States of America via interstate highways I-87 and I-287 which cross the Hudson River at Tarrytown on the Tappan Zee Bridge. I-95 runs nearby. We are 2.5 hours from Philadelphia, 3.5 hours from Boston, and 5 hours from Washington, DC.
- Metro-North Railroad—Hudson line. Express service between Tarrytown station and New York City’s Grand Central Terminal is about 35 minutes, and just a few minutes longer from Sleepy Hollow’s Philipse Manor station. Local service is available between other Metro-North commuter stations. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the station window or ticket vending machines. Local taxis are usually available at the taxi stand across the street from the Tarrytown Station; at Philipse Manor you will need to phone a cab. If you are accustomed to New York City yellow cabs with their single fare restriction and metered rates, be aware that taxis in Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow charge flat rates by zone and are permitted to take multiple passengers. The Sheraton, Doubletree and other local hotels offer shuttle service to and from the train station.
- Amtrak. Long distance connections are available in New York City’s Penn Station and at Metro-North’s Croton-Harmon station. Amtrak connections available to VIA Rail Canada.
- Westchester County Airport, 240 Airport Road, White Plains, NY 10604, 914-995-4860 (airlines). The closest airport, about 30 minutes drive from Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow. Seven airlines offer direct service to destinations within the United States. Connections are available to major cities around the world. Rental cars are available on premises.
- Stewart International Airport, 1035 First Street, Newburgh, NY 12553, 845-564-2100. An alternative to the congestion of the 3 major international airports, but at present Stewart’s four airlines offer few direct flights. Rental cars are available on premises.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, John F. Kennedy International Airport, and LaGuardia Airport: The three major international airports in the New York City area offer service to just about anywhere. Rental cars are available. For connections to rail, look for bus service to Grand Central Terminal. Most of our local taxi and livery cars offer service to and from the three internationals. New York City yellow cabs will take to you Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow in a pinch, but the fares will be exorbitant. Ask if your hotel offers airport shuttle service.
- Bee Line System. Westchester County’s bus service provides access to White Plains and other locations in the county. Schedules and route maps are available on-line and at the Tarrytown train station.
- Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan is served by twenty bus companies whose routes cover the northeast United States. Take the shuttle subway (S) from Times Square to Grand Central Terminal where you can connect to commuter rail to Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.
Both of Tarrytown’s boat clubs have transient docking and fuel docks. Though the street names differ, the two boat clubs are on the same road west of the railroad tracks. Both clubs offer reciprocity to members of Hudson River Boat and Yacht Club Association, Tarrytown Boat Club also offer reciprocity to members of Yachting Club of America.
- Tarrytown Boat and Yacht Club, 236 West Main Street, Tarrytown, NY 10591, 914-631-1300.
- Washington Irving Boat Club, 238 Green Street, Tarrytown, NY 10591, 914-332-0517.
Getting around the villages of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow depends on whether or not you are staying in local lodging and what you want to see. If arriving by train from New York City and planning only a day trip within Tarrytown’s quaint Main Street area, you can easily get about on foot or by local taxi. Sleepy Hollow’s downtown area and historic attractions are a bit of a walk from either train station, but manageable if you enjoy walking and aren’t pressed for time.
If you stay in local hotels or motels, your own vehicle or taxi service are something of a necessity.