Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse (aka Tarrytown Lighthouse and Kingsland Point Lighthouse), 299 Palmer Avenue, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591. 914-366-5109. This light was once a half-mile off shore, warning ships away from dangerous shoals on the east side of the Hudson River. Years of landfill by a now-demolished General Motors factory moved the shoreline within a few feet of the light. The cast iron tower was installed in 1883. Over its 78 years of operation, 12 light keepers and their families occupied the five-story structure. The light was automated in the mid 1950s, and operated until 1961 when navigation lights on the Tappan Zee Bridge rendered it obsolete. In the 1970s Westchester County acquired the decommissioned structure from the federal government. Tours of the light are offered by the village of Sleepy Hollow. From land, best views are from Kingsland Point Park.
Parking: parking lots inside Kingsland Point Park.